Why study God’s Word? Here are five reasons:
- The Bible reveals Jesus. This is by far the most important reason. Without a relationship with Jesus, all study of Scripture misses the point and is useless. Scripture is God’s revelation of Himself to a lost and sinful world. The Bible is written to reveal God, found in His Son. See John 5:36-40. Through Scripture, we encounter the one true and living God!
- We are needy. As sinful rebels who rightfully sit under Holy God’s judgment and the shame of sin, we need the Scriptures to hear about God and His Son, Jesus. We need God’s rescue!
- Understanding God’s Word is a moral issue. The Lord has spoken through the Scriptures, and He does not lie. We must be careful to understand His Word rightly so as not to misrepresent Him! If we lead others into truth, this leads them to Christ. If we get things wrong, then we are leading people toward destruction.
- Sanctification happens through the Bible. As believers in Christ, the Holy Spirit uses God’s Word to change our hearts and make us more like Christ. See 2 Timothy 3:16-17 and Hebrews 4:12.
- The Bible presents a comprehensive view of the world and all phenomena in it. God has given us His will, and through careful study, prayer, and reliance on the Holy Spirit, we can wisely navigate the world in all areas, including family, work, and politics.